Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

alimony paid

cathie
Level 1

Is there any reporting form for the payer to file with IRS on alimony paid ?  How do you know the recipient will report the alimony as taxable income?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

None of your concern if the recipient reports it or not, as long as your client has proof of alimony being owed (divorce papers) and alimony paid (canceled check or bank receipt).

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

Accountant-Man
Level 13

Since the Payor puts the Payee's SSN on the Payor's return, the IRS will get it.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

None of your concern if the recipient reports it or not, as long as your client has proof of alimony being owed (divorce papers) and alimony paid (canceled check or bank receipt).

Accountant-Man
Level 13

Since the Payor puts the Payee's SSN on the Payor's return, the IRS will get it.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
sjrcpa
Level 15

You do report the recipient's SSN on the 1040, so IRS can match it if they feel like it.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had a guy that IRS sent a letter and he had to prove he paid the alimony, since the recipient didn't report it, he sent proof, then they went after her.