Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After reducing a long name down to just the first initial and last names, the name is still too long. What else can I do?

ScottZeemanCPAs
Level 1

I'm getting the critical diagnostic that the taxpayers' names are too long. I have followed the steps of reducing the characters (first omitting the middle initial, then reducing the first name down to an initial, etc). I'm down to essentially "J Doe and J Buck-Doe" and the diagnostic will not clear. Other clients appear to have longer names and it has not been an issue so I'm at a loss. 

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

Ignore it.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

As Susan says - just ignore it ... and ignore the part about "may delay refund".  I have several clients with this issue, and it's never been a problem.  Not all diagnostics are as dire as they seem.  IF e-efiling hangs up, just disable the diags & file anyway.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
ScottZeemanCPAs
Level 1

The e-file won't go through with it as it is now. I did try. I would love to ignore it but need for it to actually e-file!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Did you click on the "disable efile errors", as suggested?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

For this type of problem, the best approach is to call Lacerte support, which except for the wait, is fairly effective.  It may not be applicable here, but sometimes an entry in another field or a setting may be causing the problem.   

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
ScottZeemanCPAs
Level 1

I guess I haven't tried that yet. Where/how does one go about that?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

how to contact Lacerte Support

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/taxation/help/how-to-contact-lacerte-for-help/00/4691

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Try this

Delete the client name completely and exit the client to the client list.

Go back to the client and enter the client name, just as it was originally and see what happens. If you get error, then try shortening the name. 

Sometimes a field gets corrupted with gobbledygook and it is not visible. Good luck!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers