Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

965-A Transition Tax

joe2
Level 1
Where is the form?
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Are you filing a late 2017 return?  If so, you may consider preparing that on PDF and attaching it to the return as prior year tax products will likely not be updated for forms that are published in subsequent years even if those forms are retroactive.

If you are preparing a 2018 return, it just needs to reflect the transition tax for 2017 (even if fully paid) and any outstanding liability on the 2018 returns (and in future years until it is fully settled).  The input screen for Line 1 of Part I of F.965-A is on Screen 45.5.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
sjrcpa
Level 15
You selected Lacerte 2017 as your product. The forms for the 965 tax are for 2018 returns.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
joe2
Level 1
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
The tax was in effect for 2017, there were no forms for 2017.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
joe2
Level 1
Lacerte has a 965 Statement
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Yes that is how it was done for 2017.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Are you filing a late 2017 return?  If so, you may consider preparing that on PDF and attaching it to the return as prior year tax products will likely not be updated for forms that are published in subsequent years even if those forms are retroactive.

If you are preparing a 2018 return, it just needs to reflect the transition tax for 2017 (even if fully paid) and any outstanding liability on the 2018 returns (and in future years until it is fully settled).  The input screen for Line 1 of Part I of F.965-A is on Screen 45.5.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
joe2
Level 1
I'm filing an amended 5471 to include the 965 transition. Will the necessary information carry over to the 2018 or do I need to reenter it?
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
5471 data will but numbers from 965 statement, I don't believe so.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
vwseq
Level 1
Hi, I'm preparing 2018 return with 2017 transition tax, I have already paid the liability today through IRS website. When I try to efile the tax return, the diagnostic requires an amount for 2018. Diagnostic "Form 965-A: Taxpayer's net tax liability with 965-related amounts is required when Form 965 is included in the return." I believe 965-A only need to show liability for 2017, nothing in 2018. Please advise. Thank you.
0 Cheers