Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8936 question

Form 8936 isn't being produced.

Screen 34 has all input needed. Answers to questions look right.

There is a federal tax liability that can absorb the credit.

This is a qualifying Tesla bot 12/22/2023 and I verified that the credit is allowed at fueleconomy.gov

AGI is below the threshold.

Any help is appreciated.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

This is only a guess, but ...

The final IRS Instructions were only released last week.  I suspect the software is just not ready yet for that form.

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

This is only a guess, but ...

The final IRS Instructions were only released last week.  I suspect the software is just not ready yet for that form.

Thanks.

The tax forms status says:

Final form without watermark was released on January 18, 2024. However, instructions are not final. See critical diagnostic.

My return does not have a critical diagnostic.

I will wait as you suggested.

0 Cheers
Quail
Level 2

I am having the same issue - no diagnostic and not form being generated.  I have everything input.  Hoping that it will be available soon!  

PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

I've e-filed two returns with 2023 EV credits in Lacerte already this year. No issues at all.

Don't forget that you have to enter the tentative credit, and that the right answer to "Did you acquire the vehicle for use or to lease to others..." is Yes.

Quail
Level 2

That is under the Business Use section and this vehicle is personal.  I don't want to raise any flags by potentially forcing the credit.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"Did you acquire the vehicle for use...."

That's the personal use part of the question.  It's poorly worded.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Quail
Level 2

That is very poorly worded.  And I am a tax professional.  

CECIII
Level 2

I concur. Makes no sense to answer a question about business use, when the vehicle was acquired for personal use. Nevertheless, Form 8936 still does not generate. I do not even have this form showing in my form list. I am pretty certain there is a form 8936 available at irs.gov as I am looking at it. Why is the form not in Lacerte?????

CECIII
Level 2

Somehow 8936 just showed up. Not sure what I changed.

Ernie Dantini
Level 1

Thanks Phoebe.  It was the yes answer on Part II that populated Form 8936.  Kind of a poorly written question.

PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

It's the question the IRS wrote on Schedule A of the 8936, verbatim, so we're kind of stuck with it. 🙄

poortaxpayer
Level 1

In desktop version of Deluxe does bring up the form 8936 and the supporting schedule but will not transfer the credit to Schedule 3, line 6f and I can't manually fill in that line or 1040 line 31. I can't get the credit to apply.

0 Cheers
CECIII
Level 2

This is a forum for professional tax preparation software called Lacerte. Sounds like you need assistance with Turbo tax. You won't find assistance for that software here.