Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2106 eligibility

Eug
Level 1

I know that home office is not deductible after 2018 for employees and there are 4 exemptions for that rule.

My new client's last year tax return shows income adjustment related to form 2106. He has no idea of a legal aspect of this subject and the tax preparer passed away.

He is a programmer, who works from home for "my529", is it considered a government employee? is he eligible for home office deduction because of that? 

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
dkh
Level 15

per IRS: Use Form 2106 if you were an Armed Forces reservist, a qualified performing artist, a fee-basis state or local government official, or an employee with impairment-related work expenses. Employees who do not fit into one of the listed categories may not use the Form 2106

Your client's job doesn't sound like it would fall into any of the above exemptions.

0 Cheers
Eug
Level 1

everywhere i looked up i've read the answer you just gave (very formal obvious fact) and if i knew every detail about free-basis state government employee (considering that my529 is some kind of government company) I wouldn't ask here this question. In some seminars they are saying that if it's required by employer it can be also legit.

I was hoping here professionals know a bit more on a subject.  

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

It says government official  not government employee.