Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 returns

comp1475
Level 1

How do I do a 2021 SCorp return for an existing client that dissolved his corporation on 7/31/21?

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I would file an extension and then file the tax return in January or February.

The other option is to use the 2020 software, manually override everything to follow 2021 law, cross out "2020" and write "2021" on the forms, and file by mail.  Oh, and you can't really carry most things over from the previous year, so you need to either start from scratch or go and manually change everything for the one year difference (depreciation, balance sheet, etc.).

The first option will be much easier.

BobKamman
Level 15

I think some states require all tax returns to be filed before the Articles of Dissolution are accepted.  Not a Department of Revenue rule, a Department of Bureaucratic Paperwork rule.  But you should be able to use the 2020 forms and just enter the fiscal-year ending date.  As I recall, Intuit puts a low priority on software for corporation returns, even though the books can be closed on December 31, so you can't do the returns until you are getting slammed with W-2 and 1099 filers needing quick 1040's.  

0 Cheers