Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-C for spouse who died in 2019

k9lover
Level 2

My client received a 1099-C in her spouse's name and SSN for 2021. He passed away in 2019. She lives in California, a community property state. Is she responsible for reporting the debt cancellation on her return? Thank you!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

Those are all fact-specific questions and the legal issues have to be sorted out before the tax answer can be found.  Did the creditor ever try to collect the debt from her? Are they still trying?  Maybe they haven't sent her a 1099-C yet because they think they can still collect it from her.  

A canceled debt is still taxable even though no 1099-C is issued.  A canceled debt may not be taxable even if a 1099-C is issued.  Focus on what happened, not on the piece of paper.  

And as I am reminding a probate client, the issuance of a 1099-C is not a defense if the bank decides to sue the estate (or its beneficiaries) for it anyway.  

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
BobKamman
Level 15

Was she responsible for the debt?  Not all debt is community.  Was there an estate?  Was it settled before the debts were paid, and was she a beneficiary?

0 Cheers
k9lover
Level 2

She was not responsible for the debt. All joint assets passed to her (house, retirement income, vehicles)

The house was sold before the 1099-C was received. I'm not sure if she needs to claim the debt relief on her return since there was no estate per se. Should that debt have been paid off when the house was sold? Is she now responsible for the debt relief since she didn't pay it off?

Thanks so much for your input.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Those are all fact-specific questions and the legal issues have to be sorted out before the tax answer can be found.  Did the creditor ever try to collect the debt from her? Are they still trying?  Maybe they haven't sent her a 1099-C yet because they think they can still collect it from her.  

A canceled debt is still taxable even though no 1099-C is issued.  A canceled debt may not be taxable even if a 1099-C is issued.  Focus on what happened, not on the piece of paper.  

And as I am reminding a probate client, the issuance of a 1099-C is not a defense if the bank decides to sue the estate (or its beneficiaries) for it anyway.  

k9lover
Level 2

Thank you so much! These are great points to consider. I so appreciate your answering this query.

0 Cheers