Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1065 help

dmufeed2
Level 2

This is kind of confusing!. i have a client in where he has payroll liabilities listed both as a deduction on his 1065 and on sch l other liabilities . i am confused as i know federal payroll is a liability. 

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
dkh
Level 15

If the client has payroll   - there could/would be payroll tax expense and payroll liabilities.  

abctax55
Level 15

Liability =  amounts withheld from employEE plus the employER taxes.

Expense = only the employER taxes

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
dmufeed2
Level 2

So it will be entered as a normal expense and not a a current liability on sch L

0 Cheers
dmufeed2
Level 2

But for payroll liability shouldn’t be listed as a other liabilities on schedule L ir just a regular expense on the deduction screen 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

TOTAL liability, unpaid at end of year = Balance sheet

TOTAL expense = income statement.

All of this should be on the working trial balance and is Accounting 101

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

And after looking at your posts from yesterday, I will echo Phoebe that you need to find local, mentoring help.  Partnership & S-Corp return preparation is complicated, and can't be learned by asking questions of folks on a forum.

The Tax Book has a business series that has a step-by-step example of entity preparation (or, it used to...).  I suggest you purchase it, or the Quick Finder version.  

( Generic Comment )"