Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100% charitable contribution

rlumcpa
Level 1

For 2020 and 2021, IRS rule was a taxpayer could deduct up to 100% of adjusted gross income for charitable donations. In discussion with Lacerte tech support they said it was automatic. However, IRS has denied any amount in excess of the 60/50% rule for a client. I assume the amount they deny gets carried forward though they do not specifically state so in their notice.  I did respond to the IRS and included the calculation from Lacerte but the excess was still denied.

Has anyone used the 100% rule and was there something I was supposed to check off in Lacerte? If an election was needed what screen would that be?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I know that Intuit software was not making the election in 2020 (at least for a while), but I guess I had assumed they fixed it for 2021.  Is the election showing up on Schedule A?

Instructions for Schedule A:

Include any contributions that you elect to treat as qualified contributions in the total amount reported on line 11. Indicate the election by also entering the amount of your qualified contributions on the dotted line next to the line 11 entry space.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040sca#en_US_2021_publink100030403

rlumcpa
Level 1

Yes, to both years. I am wondering if the IRS cannot see additional amount in an e-filed return.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Last fall I read that somebody claimed that the IRS computers were not set up in 2020 to 'see' the 100% amount.  *IF* that actually was true (it was not from anything 'official') I guess I had assumed that was corrected for 2021.

At any rate, contacting the IRS should be able to resolve the problem.

0 Cheers
rlumcpa
Level 1

Thank you for your comments. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

0 Cheers