mullinscpa1's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mullinscpa1's Posts

I am colorblind, I see color, just not all shades. Your helpful coloring of an entry box outline to what your tech Justin said he sees as green, I cannot see as green. I see it is darker than other ... See more...
I am colorblind, I see color, just not all shades. Your helpful coloring of an entry box outline to what your tech Justin said he sees as green, I cannot see as green. I see it is darker than other outline boxes.  Could you make the outline font notably thicker, like you can in excel?  Regardless of colorblindness, that sleek look isn't as helpfully in a quick view as a thicker box outline.    Unless you have different colors you are coloring boxes to mean different things, the color does not matter.  If you are however, please consult some official colorblindness foundation for colors to use that we can see.  It is the shade of the color, not that we cannot see color.  So you just need to avoid the shades we cannot.  I use "we" freely here as I do not really know the spectrum of colorblindness issues.   This was seen on the 1040 K1 carryovers listed under the Basis tab for a certain K1. Thank you! Robert Mullins
Thank you SJRCPA!   I see the details to your reply at this link below for the 6 states allowing deduction of Federal tax on those state returns.   This article gives that and a helpful analysis of i... See more...
Thank you SJRCPA!   I see the details to your reply at this link below for the 6 states allowing deduction of Federal tax on those state returns.   This article gives that and a helpful analysis of implication on the state budgets of those states.    If someone sees a better or more current link however as to the rules in each state, please post that. https://itep.org/why-states-that-offer-the-deduction-for-federal-income-taxes-paid-get-it-wrong-2/  
1040, estimated tax input screen, has 2 column headings Federal and State, under the Federal heading there are two columns, amount, and a drop down to choose US or a state.  This choice column under ... See more...
1040, estimated tax input screen, has 2 column headings Federal and State, under the Federal heading there are two columns, amount, and a drop down to choose US or a state.  This choice column under Federal makes no sense to me.  Payments for Federal would always be to the US Treasury so you would never choose a state in that but always US.  Therefore, if no need for any choice exists, why is this choice column here?  Perhaps there is some purpose for it I am not aware of?  If so, that should be in the FAQ on this screen and if not that column should be removed as it appears to just be extra data never used. Further, when you rolled my client 1040 previous year 2020 Federal overpayment into 2021, you correctly listed the amount in the Federal column, but you set the state selector to IL as that is his domicile.  That then was a waste of my time I had to go look at the actual 2020, see the overpayment applied was actually for Federal not IL, and then change that selection from IL to US.   Thus you wasted my time checking on that and introduced a query in my mind for this comment as to why ever one would use such a column to cause anything different to hit a Federal or State return for a Federal payment and I am not aware that ever is needed.   Either way, by putting IL there you wasted my time chasing this so please either 1) remove that or 2) put in an FAQ on that screen why you have it there for even one single known reason where it makes any difference in any kind of return.    It looks to me like a programming flaw and not a valid tax reason.    I say a flaw as it introduces on the same screen what would appear to be two ways to enter a state payment, either in state column, or in federal column and choose a state; that is terrible thinking, pick a tack and stick with it.  We do not have time to wonder what it is you are going to do with the amounts we enter on this screen for such a selection
I have a lot of K-1's to enter. Navigating after every one to Preview Forms, then Adjusted Basis Worksheet, then find that K-1 among a long list is a real waste of time. Now that the IRS requires t... See more...
I have a lot of K-1's to enter. Navigating after every one to Preview Forms, then Adjusted Basis Worksheet, then find that K-1 among a long list is a real waste of time. Now that the IRS requires the capital section of the K1 to be tax basis, it would make sense that on the same screen where we enter capital contributed (the only extra entry sometimes needed), we could hit calc and it would have new fields showing the computed end capital balance so we can proof our K1 entries for that k1 while still inside that K1.   Otherwise it is a lot of clicks to navigate to how you have it to see that.   Further, on any excel, we always show the proof difference, in case it is not zero, so we can usually readily see maybe we missed an entry or such to speed correction
The TN 2020 instructions farther below list 5 Exemptions and the taxpayer met the one for age 65 and under the Annual Income limit, so the system correctly shows no taxable income.   It would still h... See more...
The TN 2020 instructions farther below list 5 Exemptions and the taxpayer met the one for age 65 and under the Annual Income limit, so the system correctly shows no taxable income.   It would still have saved me all the time checking why if the system would have listed a footnote as to why no income was shown as taxable on the TN form given dividend income is on the 1040.
TN 2020 Instructions show this is still taxable and does not fully repeal until 2021. https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/revenue/documents/taxguides/indincguide.pdf
Figured it out.  Just enter the amount as a negative as it says at the top of the block.