pdlang55's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pdlang55's Posts

When will Form 1116 - schedule B be updated - error message says form will be update in later release
NJ 1040 will not print the pdf  NJ Form is final --- is this just another flaw in the proseries set of forms? If page 1-4 of NJ is final - the return should print
When will ProSeries update forms for the new IRS extended filing and payment dates for 2020
I mistakenly e-filed a NJ return on 10/14 at 9:30 PM, how can I recall the return before it is sent to NJ from the Intuit gateway
In years prior to 2018, a taxpayer could make a contribution to an IRA, the next day take a distribution of that contribution, then roll it into a Roth IRA.  This has been called a "Back Door Roth" as... See more...
In years prior to 2018, a taxpayer could make a contribution to an IRA, the next day take a distribution of that contribution, then roll it into a Roth IRA.  This has been called a "Back Door Roth" as it could only be done through Proseries when you checked a box at the bottom of the 1099-R that allowed the full distribution to be re-characterized. However, that step (C-1 through C-3) is now missing from the 2018 software.  Take a look. It appears that this ability to contribute to a Roth through the "Back-door" method previously allowed has disappeared with the new tax act. The 1099-R in 2018 shows the distribution as a total distribution with the taxable status as undetermined. I have tried every way to get the distribution to show up as non-taxable but I can't.  I have tried every way suggested by those on this community
Even when you do that, the event shows up taxable.  Go back to the 2017 software and look how it is treated.  It is treated completely differently.  The 2018 software takes out a step.  
I think I found the answer - There are no more re-characterizations of IRA Distributions in 2018 to a Roth.  The new Tax Act killed the "Back-door" Roth for any distribution from a IRA in 2018 and bey... See more...
I think I found the answer - There are no more re-characterizations of IRA Distributions in 2018 to a Roth.  The new Tax Act killed the "Back-door" Roth for any distribution from a IRA in 2018 and beyond that is converted into a Roth.  You must now treat any distribution that is converted as taxable income.
Facts: 1099R for 2018 has 5500 in Box 1, 5500 in 2A, Distribution code is 2, scrolling down the page, 5500 appears in box B4, then check the box in B5 to show full amount in B4 converted to Roth, but ... See more...
Facts: 1099R for 2018 has 5500 in Box 1, 5500 in 2A, Distribution code is 2, scrolling down the page, 5500 appears in box B4, then check the box in B5 to show full amount in B4 converted to Roth, but this still shows up as fully taxable on 1040.  In 2017, there were boxes in C: Recharacterization, to indicate that the whole amount was recharacterized, however, there is no recharacterization section under a C category in 2018, the form goes from B to D
The Proseries in 2017 had a box that could be checked for Roth conversions - but in 2018 does not -
No other IRA money  --- Made contribution to 2018 IRA, then immediately withdrew the money and converted the distribution to a Roth in 2018
THank you Rbynaker --- this helps --- best regards ---
This is for 2018 - The worksheet that goes with the 1099-R for 2018 is not like the one for 2017