JDRM's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JDRM's Posts

Importing from TD Ameritrade still doesn't work.  It didn't work last year and new again this year.  Ameritrade tells me it's an Intuit problem.  Is there any hope that Intuit will get this working? ... See more...
Importing from TD Ameritrade still doesn't work.  It didn't work last year and new again this year.  Ameritrade tells me it's an Intuit problem.  Is there any hope that Intuit will get this working?  I hate to enter hundreds of transactions by hand.
Yeah, I read those instructions in Proseries.  However, I couldn't confirm that in the IRS instructions.  Unfortunately, the CPA firm doing the father's return won't consider making any changes becau... See more...
Yeah, I read those instructions in Proseries.  However, I couldn't confirm that in the IRS instructions.  Unfortunately, the CPA firm doing the father's return won't consider making any changes because they think they are right.  So I'm stuck with making the best of it.  I tried my best to present the idea of allocating more to the daughter but they wouldn't budge.  Unfortunately, the father and his new wife think they have the best tax experts and don't believe me.  So this is a picture of the father's form 8962.  If I use 0, 0, 25% on the daughter's, then the refund is $11,255.  If I use 25, 25, 25, then the refund is 714.  I'm not sure which I should do.
This is a follow up question related to this specific shared policy allocation.  My client is single and not a dependent of someone else with adjusted gross income of $7,159 resulting in taxable inco... See more...
This is a follow up question related to this specific shared policy allocation.  My client is single and not a dependent of someone else with adjusted gross income of $7,159 resulting in taxable income of $0. She did have self-employment tax of $101 but had withholding of $35 so she was due to pay $66. After I found out about the father having a 1095-A with my client as a covered individual, then I added the 1095-A to her return.  His form has total monthly enrollment premiums of $13,923, SLCSP of $15,586, and advance payment of PTC of $10,812.  There were four covered individuals on the form.  The CPA that prepared his return entered the allocation percentage on form 8962 as premium 0.00%, SLCSP 0.0%, and advance payment of the PTC 0.75%. Now I'm using Proseries Basic to prepare my client's return and I entered all of the 1095-A from the father's form into Proseries for her.  In the shared policy allocation section, I entered 25% as the advance payment of the PTC and that's all.  It has calculated the net premium tax credit as $11,220 which now results in $11,154 as her overall tax refund.  This just doesn't seem right to me.  Can you help me understand if this is correct or not? Thanks for any help given.
I'm getting push back from the CPA that is preparing the father's tax return. Here is what he wrote to me: "While it stinks to have to pay back the premium credit, I’m not willing to sign a return ... See more...
I'm getting push back from the CPA that is preparing the father's tax return. Here is what he wrote to me: "While it stinks to have to pay back the premium credit, I’m not willing to sign a return I’m not comfortable with. The premium credit is an advance for people who can’t afford the premium. When the income exceeds these thresholds, it’s taxed (as was done on Ryan’s 2018 tax return) Perhaps you can continue to send me information that will give me that comfort about changing the way we prepared this return, but my team has taken a long look at this. We all conclude that a father and a daughter can’t decide to allocate all of this credit to the daughter’s tax return. That’s not the intent of the “tax family” allocations which are normally between divorced couples, etc.. The Form 1095-A shows that all four (Ryan, Alexis, Andrew and Haley) were covered by health insurance and the 1095-A is in Ryan’s name and social security number. I know no other way to proceed on this without triggering an IRS notice about not properly reporting this under Ryan’s social security number. We don’t think this example applies – they are not a two tax family. The example under that situation is based on divorced parents – each parent is its own tax family. In this case, Alexis is filing her own tax return but that does not make it a two tax family for purposes of the allocation." Do you have any further thoughts?
Thank you for your reply. Is it allowable to allocate 100% to my client? There were four covered individuals: the father and three children. The father is claiming two of the children as dependents b... See more...
Thank you for your reply. Is it allowable to allocate 100% to my client? There were four covered individuals: the father and three children. The father is claiming two of the children as dependents but not my client. The father has exceeded the income limit and will have to repay all of the credit except what is allocated to my client.  I didn't know about the 1095-A existing and have already filed her return.  The IRS sent a letter and now they want a copy of the Form 8962 and the 1095-A.  So I'm wondering if they'll accept an allocation of more than 25%.
My first time doing shared policy allocation of Form 1095-A.  My client was a covered individual on her father's policy but she is not his dependent.  He got the 1095-A and is listed as the recipient... See more...
My first time doing shared policy allocation of Form 1095-A.  My client was a covered individual on her father's policy but she is not his dependent.  He got the 1095-A and is listed as the recipient.  It has four covered individuals.  So when I complete my client's 1095-A, do I list her or her father as the recipient in Part 1?  And do I enter her address or his.  Then in Part II, do I only list her or do I list everyone that was a covered individual on her father's form?  Then, how do I determine what percentage to us in the smart worksheet.  Do I just use 25% since there were four covered individuals?