mappp's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mappp's Posts

Is ProSeries going to fix this problem? Is ProSeries even working on this problem? Any information or an update would be appreciated
This pension deduction worksheet does not correctly handle the new police, fire department, state police or corrections officer deduction.  These pensions have now been determined to be fully deducti... See more...
This pension deduction worksheet does not correctly handle the new police, fire department, state police or corrections officer deduction.  These pensions have now been determined to be fully deductible.   There has to be a way to separately identify the police/fire pensions from other pensions.  Currently the program does not allow direct input on MI Form 4884.  MI instructions state to complete "Worksheet 2 and Section A" of Form 4884 and take the larger deduction.  No way to do this without separating the pensions that go on Line 3 and Line 6 of the worksheet and Line 12 and Line 14 of Section A.  We need to be able to code the pensions correctly in the program or allow input on Form 4884.  This is how I'm reading the instructions and could be totally off-base but I cannot see any way to handle the pension differences without correcting the software.
My previous post, I think, is correct in how the police/EMT pension deduction should work. Subtraction would be figured in Section A, Form 4884.  I suspect that there needs to be a new code for the p... See more...
My previous post, I think, is correct in how the police/EMT pension deduction should work. Subtraction would be figured in Section A, Form 4884.  I suspect that there needs to be a new code for the police subtraction rather than using the "G" for government.  That subtraction is figured in Section D on Form 4884.  MI is in the process of reverting to the previous method of not taxing a large amount of pension dollars ($120K+ MFJ and $61K single).  They are spreading this change out over 4 years.  MI does allow more than one kind of subtraction - currently military and railroad pensions are not taxed.  And, yes, MI is very convoluted in anything they do with taxes.  Their website leaves a lot to be desired. Intuit has obviously dropped the ball and any MI return with police or EMT pensions will have to be held until Intuit corrects the software. Does anyone have any info on when the software correction will occur?
In the Federal return on the 1099-R Federal worksheet, use line 16-1, state distribution and state use code.  Put a "G" in the state use code. In the MI return, Form 4884, Part 4, Section A, will aut... See more...
In the Federal return on the 1099-R Federal worksheet, use line 16-1, state distribution and state use code.  Put a "G" in the state use code. In the MI return, Form 4884, Part 4, Section A, will automatically do the calculation for the maximum deduction from any taxable pension.
This problem is not solved.  The $1700 credit is still showing up on returns with no children as of 1/31/2024. mappp
I have an HP LaserJet that also has the capability to print two sided.  In the MicroSoft settings for printers, I pick my printer and "manage".  There is an option for "printer preferences" and there... See more...
I have an HP LaserJet that also has the capability to print two sided.  In the MicroSoft settings for printers, I pick my printer and "manage".  There is an option for "printer preferences" and there I can select to print one or two sided.  Hope this helps.
And make sure that you uncheck direct deposit box.  Not allowed on MI amended.
Yes, it really bugs me.  It's a program bug that ProSeries doesn't seem to want to fix.  Why not?   I tend to be proud of the product that I produce for my client's and expect the same from my vendor... See more...
Yes, it really bugs me.  It's a program bug that ProSeries doesn't seem to want to fix.  Why not?   I tend to be proud of the product that I produce for my client's and expect the same from my vendors.  I once dealt with a contractor who said "why fix it, you can't see it from the street".  ProSeries seems to have the same attitude.
I'm also having this problem and it's now 4/30.  Is this ever going to be fixed or does ProSeries consider it too minor to bother with fixing?  
Switch the names back to match how you filed the extension.
RCooley, sorry I won't be able to see your fireworks.  I'm way UP here on the shores of Lake Superior in the UP of MI and I don't think the fireworks will get across the Mighty Mac!
By the way, Bloomberg's Tax & Accounting's SuperForm program has both form 7203 and 8915F available as fill-in forms that can be attached as PDF's.  I've already e-filed 7203 as PDF's.
Hoping that IRonMaN will let me know when it is ok to ask about anything other than Forms 7203 and 8915F.  
I agree that an IRA distribution is not a pension, however, it is retirement income.  It makes more sense to leave it where it has always been on the Summary Report as part of pension income than to ... See more...
I agree that an IRA distribution is not a pension, however, it is retirement income.  It makes more sense to leave it where it has always been on the Summary Report as part of pension income than to move it to the line that reports miscellaneous income.  If you zoom on the entry, you will not see the IRA.  
I use the Tax Summary Report in ProSeries for every client.  This year IRA distributions are being shown under "Other Income" on the Summary Report instead of on the Pensions and Annuities line.  On ... See more...
I use the Tax Summary Report in ProSeries for every client.  This year IRA distributions are being shown under "Other Income" on the Summary Report instead of on the Pensions and Annuities line.  On the TY 2020 form it was correctly reported on the Pensions line.  Can someone tell me how to report this bug?
No, I transferred one client (me) today 1/23/2022.
No, neither of these boxes are checked.  Everything appears normal.  1099-R's are just not listed.  Causes LOTS of extra typing.
In the past the FEIN, name, and address from the prior year 1099-R was transferred into the current tax return.  For TY 2021 all the prior 1099-R info appears to be missing.  Is there a setting I'm m... See more...
In the past the FEIN, name, and address from the prior year 1099-R was transferred into the current tax return.  For TY 2021 all the prior 1099-R info appears to be missing.  Is there a setting I'm missing?  Anyone else having this problem?
Terry,  Thank you.  Do you have a source I can quote? Pam
I'm thinking the taxability of the home is separate from the Sch A medical expense deduction.  If he doesn't qualify to exclude the gain because he did not live in the home for two of the last five y... See more...
I'm thinking the taxability of the home is separate from the Sch A medical expense deduction.  If he doesn't qualify to exclude the gain because he did not live in the home for two of the last five years, then all the $23,000 would be taxable.  However, even if the gain is not taxable, he didn't get to keep the money.  All the $23,000 went to WI, so does he have a $23,000 medical expense?