Terry53029's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terry53029's Posts

Once you take out your IRA, it is no longer a tax favored account. You then have a loss due to fraud. I am far from an expert in that area, but have read of people doing that. Which is why you should... See more...
Once you take out your IRA, it is no longer a tax favored account. You then have a loss due to fraud. I am far from an expert in that area, but have read of people doing that. Which is why you should send your clients to a good tax lawyer. Also I think you must take out all IRA accounts, and if under 59 1/2 the 10% penalty applies.
I think you should advise your clients to see an attorney. If they withdraw any funds left they may be able to use Revenue Procedure 2009-20, and take a loss not subject to 2% AGI
generally Income received will be taxed in state earned, and also in state of domicile. some states out east are going to war on this situation
Are you talking about taking lost income, you can't deduct something that was never taken as taxable income
There does seem to be a lot of confusion on this, but the latest instruction from IRS seems to say it is excludable. "If you made contributions to a governmental unemployment compensation program or ... See more...
There does seem to be a lot of confusion on this, but the latest instruction from IRS seems to say it is excludable. "If you made contributions to a governmental unemployment compensation program or to a governmental paid family leave program and you aren't itemizing deductions, reduce the amount you report on line 7 by those contributions. If you are itemizing deductions, see the instructions on Form 1099-G." The IRS is saying to reduce the amount of benefits by any payments you had to make to your state for PFL, or unemployment, so it follows that PFL and unemployment are excludable. Here is link:  https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/new-exclusion-of-up-to-10200-of-unemployment-compensation
Here are instructions for ProSeries: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/amend-tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-an-individual-return-using-intuit-proconnect/00/4506
Works on mine ProSeries Pro
Don't know about MI, but WI amended returns have to be mailed in.  
Michigan is one of the states you can efile alone
Here is the work sheet from IRS:  Unemployment Compensation Exclusion Worksheet – Schedule 1, Line 8 If you are filing Form 1040 or 1040-SR, enter the total of lines 1 through 7 of Form 1040 or... See more...
Here is the work sheet from IRS:  Unemployment Compensation Exclusion Worksheet – Schedule 1, Line 8 If you are filing Form 1040 or 1040-SR, enter the total of lines 1 through 7 of Form 1040 or 1040-SR. If you are filing Form 1040-NR, enter the total of lines 1a, 1b, and lines 2 through 7.   Enter the amount from Schedule 1, lines 1 through 6. Don't include any amount of unemployment compensation from Schedule 1, line 7 on this line.   Use the line 8 instructions to determine the amount to include on Schedule 1, line 8, and enter here. Do not reduce this amount by the amount of unemployment compensation you may be able to exclude.   Add lines 1, 2, and 3.   If you are filing Form 1040 or 1040-SR, enter the amount from line 10c. If you are filing Form 1040-NR, enter the amount from line 10d.   Subtract line 5 from line 4. This is your modified adjusted gross income.   Is the amount on line 6 $150,000 or more?   a. [ ] Yes. Stop You can't exclude any of your employment compensation b. [ ] No. Go to line 8
In Pro, on the 1099R worksheet (about 1/3 way down) check box 2020 coronavirus-related distribution. That will automatically spread the distribution over 3 years. It will also generate the 8915E, and... See more...
In Pro, on the 1099R worksheet (about 1/3 way down) check box 2020 coronavirus-related distribution. That will automatically spread the distribution over 3 years. It will also generate the 8915E, and if you don't want to spread over three years check box A. This is in Pro, but I would think Basic would be same. 
As Ironman said, if you inherited a home and never lived in or used personally, it is considered an investment property, and you report the gain or loss on schedule D.
Try going to Windows start, scroll to ProSeries, Repair updates. hope that helps
I've had a couple of clients make the payment themselves on the IRS web site in May. Will send them a reminder.  
This is from  Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) Assistant A qualifying child must have the same main home as you for more than half of 2020 and that home must have been in the United States. The Un... See more...
This is from  Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) Assistant A qualifying child must have the same main home as you for more than half of 2020 and that home must have been in the United States. The United States includes the 50 states and the District of Columbia. It does not include United States possessions such as Guam, the Virgin Islands, or Puerto Rico. For the EITC, the IRS considers U.S. military personnel stationed outside the United States on extended active duty to have a main home in the United States during that period of duty.
Some states do Wisconsin, and Illinois do
You should get the Tax Book, or some other reference material for your practice. Here is a link to get you started: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/individual-retirement-arrangements-iras
If they are all "covered" just list ST and LT summary on schedule d worksheet. No need to attach to return
Prepare return as MFJ, and then choose MFJ/MFS  worksheet, Pro has, but don't know about basic
See this link for your answer: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-ira-contribution-limits#:~:text=More%20In%20Retirement%20Plans&text=For%202021%2C%202... See more...
See this link for your answer: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-ira-contribution-limits#:~:text=More%20In%20Retirement%20Plans&text=For%202021%2C%202020%20and%202019,taxable%20compensation%20for%20the%20year