Catmom's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catmom's Posts

I'm having the same issue on the Kansas return.  Kansas allows a day care credit that is 25% of the federal day care credit.  ProSeries calculated the Kansas credit at zero.  I called Kansas Departme... See more...
I'm having the same issue on the Kansas return.  Kansas allows a day care credit that is 25% of the federal day care credit.  ProSeries calculated the Kansas credit at zero.  I called Kansas Department of Revenue and they said it should be 25%, period.  It doesn't matter whether it offsets tax on the federal return or is fully refundable.  I called ProSeries and the support technician I spoke with didn't have a clue.  She told me to override.  I've always thought overriding was a bad thing and to avoid it at all costs.  ProSeries should fix the software instead.   Back to my client....I realized that, on this particular return, it wouldn't change their refund if all of the day care credit was nonrefundable, so I unchecked Box B on the 2441 and made it nonrefundable.  Now the Kansas credit is calculating correctly.  It's a temporary workaround, and it only works if the client has sufficient federal tax to absorb the entire credit.  The ProSeries support technician said she would submit a support request and hopefully it will get fixed.
I have the same issue.  It's excluding the entire amount of unemployment, which is $14,726. but it's also giving an adjustment of -$10,200 on line 7 of Form AR-OI. It automatically populates that num... See more...
I have the same issue.  It's excluding the entire amount of unemployment, which is $14,726. but it's also giving an adjustment of -$10,200 on line 7 of Form AR-OI. It automatically populates that number, but I can override by typing a zero in that box. It seems like ProSeries should have fixed this by now.  It's been 2 months since you posted this issue.
Update - Called PPS and they said no indication that EITC has ever been denied. 2019 refund was issued with no issues, and it also included EITC. One thing had changed on the 2020 tax return, though,... See more...
Update - Called PPS and they said no indication that EITC has ever been denied. 2019 refund was issued with no issues, and it also included EITC. One thing had changed on the 2020 tax return, though, and PPS agent wondered if it caused a problem.  Wife had always been listed as TP and her husband as spouse. For 2020, I switched them since husband is the only one working now. I was careful to change all the taxpayer/spouse indicators etc. I don't see why this would cause the issue, but it did. I redid the return with wife as TP as it was done in the past. It was accepted.
I called the client this afternoon.  They are insistent that the EITC has never been disallowed.  I believe them, because they would have called me immediately if their refund was reduced.
PATAX, no offense taken at all!  After 34 years preparing taxes, I know how clients can be.  These clients have been with me for 9 years, and I know them pretty well.  I thought they surely would hav... See more...
PATAX, no offense taken at all!  After 34 years preparing taxes, I know how clients can be.  These clients have been with me for 9 years, and I know them pretty well.  I thought they surely would have called me if they got a letter saying their EITC was disallowed.  But I still called them this afternoon and asked them that question.  They said "No!  We would have called you immediately if anything like that ever happened!"  I really don't think it's ever been disallowed, and am wondering if there is some kind of glitch. I've seen this same issue discussed in the ProSeries Support Facebook group, but no one ever got a satisfactory answer.  Thanks for your help.
The reject notice doesn't say that the child has already been claimed. It says taxpayers must file Form 8862 because EITC has been previously disallowed.  Except EITC has never been disallowed.
MFJ with a 9 year old son. Income in $25-30K range. Have been claiming EITC since son was born. EITC has never been disallowed. E-Filed 2020 return and got a reject notice Code F1040-164-01 that says... See more...
MFJ with a 9 year old son. Income in $25-30K range. Have been claiming EITC since son was born. EITC has never been disallowed. E-Filed 2020 return and got a reject notice Code F1040-164-01 that says Form 8862 must be present in the return.
Hi Java_and_Jazz, Thanks for your reply.  I posted this question in the ProSeries Facebook group and got no response at all. I also noticed where someone posted the same question on this forum a wee... See more...
Hi Java_and_Jazz, Thanks for your reply.  I posted this question in the ProSeries Facebook group and got no response at all. I also noticed where someone posted the same question on this forum a week ago and got no response. Or was that you?  Anyway, I checked the box "No" on Schedule D, line 20 like you said.  That works, but it also confirms that there is no advantage in taking the election at all (in my client's case) so I just deleted the election amount on the 4952.  I'll just carry it over again. Maybe some day he'll have investment income that doesn't qualify for QD or LTCG treatment. Thanks again, and thanks for reporting it to ProSeries!
Client has investment interest and investment income. Almost all of the income is qualified dividends and long-term capital gain. If I take the election to treat the income as investment income, it s... See more...
Client has investment interest and investment income. Almost all of the income is qualified dividends and long-term capital gain. If I take the election to treat the income as investment income, it should disqualify it from capital gain treatment. ProSeries is allowing the investment interest deduction, and it's still calculating the tax as if all the investment income is eligible for capital gain treatment.  Is there a software bug, or did I miss some new tax law change on this?
I don't know if there's been a tax law change on this, but I have the same problem. When I calculated the tax on the Schedule D tax worksheet that's in the Schedule D instructions, it's way different... See more...
I don't know if there's been a tax law change on this, but I have the same problem. When I calculated the tax on the Schedule D tax worksheet that's in the Schedule D instructions, it's way different.  ProSeries is allowing capital gains treatment on the investment interest election amount.
I had the same issue, but the W-4 is not e-filed with the return so I didn't worry about it.
Thanks, Accountant Man. I did a search before asking the question, but your post didn't come up.
I figured out the answer. You now have to select the letter to print with the filing copy, not the client copy. That doesn't really make sense because there is no filing copy of the Organizer, but it... See more...
I figured out the answer. You now have to select the letter to print with the filing copy, not the client copy. That doesn't really make sense because there is no filing copy of the Organizer, but it worked so I'm happy.
It seems that the letter will print with the Full Organizer, but not the Short Organizer. I have used the Short Organizer in prior years, and never had this problem.
The letter doesn't print with the Organizers.  I've edited my Organizer Letter and saved it.  I've selected the letter to print with the Organizer under "Control which letters print."  What am I miss... See more...
The letter doesn't print with the Organizers.  I've edited my Organizer Letter and saved it.  I've selected the letter to print with the Organizer under "Control which letters print."  What am I missing?  I've been using ProSeries for 15 years and never had this issue.