Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to File 1099's NEC to another state besides your own?

JRC
Level 8

I need to file a 1099Nec for a different state besides the one the business is located. I normally do the Combined Reporting for Federal/Wisconsin but need a 1099 filed for an out of state vendor without sending it to Wisconsin. Is there a trick or sequence of steps which need to be taken. We use the Information Return System by Intuit. Thank you

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

The question is not whether you have to file 1099's for out-of-state vendors, but what Wisconsin is going to do to punish you if that happens?  Six months' probation with no cheese and beer allowed?  One software vendor says,

"If there is no state tax withholding, the IRS will automatically forward your federal 1099 forms to the state agency since Wisconsin is part of the CF/SF program."

https://www.taxbandits.com/form-1099-series/wisconsin-state-filing-requirements/ 

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
JRC
Level 8

Seriously am I the only person/company with an out of state 1099 that needs to be file out of how many companies? WOW 😮

Wonder why I can't do this anymore. Or don't want to.  After 29 years I've had enough of this **bleep**.

BobKamman
Level 15

What makes you think you are required to file in another state just because you do business with someone there?  And why would Wisconsin not be interested in knowing how much your vendor makes from you and everyone else in Wisconsin?  

JRC
Level 8

I do not have to file out of state 1099's to Wisconsin, so how do I file the 1099:s with federal and not have the out of state forms sent to Wisconsin with them? 

PATAX
Level 15

@JRC I have been using ams/1099etc for many years. Due to efile mandate, this is first year I have had to efile. It lets you efile federal alone. and it lets you choose which state to efile, which you can also efile by itself. The software is not real expensive, so maybe you can purchase and download it, if it lets you download the software without initial disk ( I get the initial disk first, and then download updates).

BobKamman
Level 15

The question is not whether you have to file 1099's for out-of-state vendors, but what Wisconsin is going to do to punish you if that happens?  Six months' probation with no cheese and beer allowed?  One software vendor says,

"If there is no state tax withholding, the IRS will automatically forward your federal 1099 forms to the state agency since Wisconsin is part of the CF/SF program."

https://www.taxbandits.com/form-1099-series/wisconsin-state-filing-requirements/ 

JRC
Level 8

But I love my beer and cheese.

Yes WI will get the out of state 1099's if I send them using the Combined Federal/State Filer Program.

I know there Directions state not to send 1099's that have no Wisconsin activity. 

OH Well 

Thank you.