Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIRE website down?

JRC
Level 8

I have not been able to connect to the Fire website since Friday. Anyone else having problems with the system?  I have tried to setup a new login and the system returns an error for my 5+4 zip code number. As of today the IRS has no answer to my problem.

Just wondering.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

The IRS website shows:

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/filing-information-returns-electronically-fire

(Down for scheduled maintenance 12/3/21 - 1/4/22

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

33 Comments 33
abctax55
Level 15

The IRS website shows:

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/filing-information-returns-electronically-fire

(Down for scheduled maintenance 12/3/21 - 1/4/22

( Generic Comment )"
JRC
Level 8

Thanks..

I have to wait till January to see if they fixed my problem or not. Goody.

Appreciated.

JRC
Level 8

Up-date: Just wanted to let you know I did Email them 12/03 at [[email address removed] ] and received a response within 2-days! 

On 12/10 I received another E-mail telling me they fixed the Error/Problem also with a note that the Fire Website was down for service until January 5th.

Hopefully is Good to go on the 5th of January...

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Are you subscribed, here:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/e-news-subscriptions

This just came today as a Special Edition:

Issue Number: 2021-14

1.  Filing Information Returns Electronically (FIRE) file status and user ID change 

Effective January 1, 2022, the “Good, Not Released” file status and the “Good, Released” file status will be combined, so users will only see a “Good” status change. This will improve system response time and streamline customer file status reporting.

Additionally, on the Test System “Good, Federal Reporting” status has been changed to “Good” while the Combined Federal State Reporting status of “Good, Federal/State Reporting” remains unchanged. IRS.gov and all associated publications will be updated to reflect this change.

Also effective January 1, 2022, a new FIRE account User ID format will be required. It must contain,

• A minimum of 8 to 25 characters
  • Both alpha and numeric characters
  • No special characters or no spaces

If your current User ID does not meet this criteria, you will be prompted to create a new User ID. At that point, the system will log you out and place you back on the logon page. You will then be able to logon using your newly created User ID.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

Yes I am.

Un-fortunately for me I was in the Middle of Signing up under a new EIN prior to the shut down and the information entered on the IRS site was transfered to the FIRE site incorrectly. SO having to address this problem with the two sites was impossible to correct because neither site representative was wanting to take responsibility.

0 Cheers
MOaccountant
Level 2

Having trouble logging into my FIRE account.  It says we need to update our user ID, but I can't figure out how to do that.  What e-mail did you use to contact them?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

0 Cheers
lisagengland
Level 2

I am having the same problem, I try to log in and it keeps kicking me out when I try to set up new user account, it states it already exists. the number to call for help hangs up on you because they are too busy. Anyone know how to resolce this? 

0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

E mail them:

irs.e-helpmail @ irs.gov

Also make sure you are using the exact company name as when you set it up. It must be Exact!!

0 Cheers
Bhupi
Level 1

Were you able to solve the user name problem on IRS FIRE system ?

How ?

0 Cheers
MOaccountant
Level 2

Not yet.  I sent an email to [email address removed]  yesterday (1/25).  I did get an automated response with a case ID number and they said I would receive a reply in 2 business days.  If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what else to do.  I cannot get through to anyone on the helpdesk phone number.

0 Cheers
lisagengland
Level 2

I emailed also, I was told to call the number, early in the morning, so I did, was on hold for over 2 hours then the sysstem disconnected the call for "techinal difficulties" 

0 Cheers
kerry
Level 3

That does not help-I also am not able to login to submit all of my 1099's.  I am able to login and file extensions which does not make sense.  I have been trying to get a hold of them on the phone and they just have a recording then hang up.  Any real help would be great.

Thanks-Kerry

0 Cheers
lisagengland
Level 2

That email address will not send. 

0 Cheers
lisagengland
Level 2

I honestly have no idea how to contact them I guess I will be printing and mailing mine in. I emailed the liason for my area and was told to call early, the call center opens at 7:30 I called at 7:35 and received "too busy" message and was disconnected. It's completely ridiculous. 

0 Cheers
kerry
Level 3

How are you mailing-do you have the red forms

0 Cheers
MOaccountant
Level 2

I ended up sending an email.  I never got a response, but they did reset my account to where I could login.  It prompted me to change my user ID, which wasn't available the first time around.  So if you sent an email and never got a response, you might try logging in anyway.  They may have reset your account without any notification.  

0 Cheers
lisagengland
Level 2

Yes I ordered them last week when I was pretty sure I was't going to get my E-filing resolved. I ordered from Tenenz. 

kerry
Level 3

So are you saying if my current id does NOT have ALL of the required info I should be prompted?  I am not being prompted of any error except for the following:

"Information provided is not correct"

All my information is correct well at least it worked in Oct 2021 just fine.  Any help would be great I still can not get through to the FIRE IRS IT department.

0 Cheers
MOaccountant
Level 2

Same with us.  Our old login information worked in October.  

However, when we tried to login a week ago, it just told us that our info was incorrect....same as what is happening to you.  I never got a prompt to change my User ID until I sent that email to the IRS.  I never got an email response, but a few days after I sent the email, I tried logging in again and they had somehow reset our account.  It then promoted me to change my User ID and I was able to get logged in and got everything filed.  

kerry
Level 3

So happy you were able to get this completed-I just sent another email to the FIRE email so I hope someone will help fix this matter for me.  I find this so sad that QB does not have their program setup to efile 1099's like they have for W2s-if should NOT cost per forms and it should not be so hard to efiled 1099's through QB's.  This is a mess to say the least.

0 Cheers
actaccount
Level 2

Did you get response to your e-mail

0 Cheers
actaccount
Level 2

got response with ticket numberf

0 Cheers
kerry
Level 3

Just with a case number

0 Cheers
lisagengland
Level 2

I am having the exact same problem! And no idea how to correct it, I can't get through to anyone for help. 

0 Cheers
lisagengland
Level 2

What email are you using?

0 Cheers
kerry
Level 3

[email address removed]

0 Cheers
lisagengland
Level 2

For some reason quickbooks keeps removing the email address.

0 Cheers
actaccount
Level 2

just got a ticket number or ID number and nothing else.

DSLayson
Level 1

Yep.  I was on hold for 4 hours.  Bound and determined to speak with someone, only to be told at the end "Due to high call volume, we can't take your call now.  Please call back"  Crazy!

0 Cheers
DSLayson
Level 1

When I attempted to log in, it did not give me the option to change my user name.  It would not accept my credentials and would not accept my info. for a password reset.

0 Cheers
DSLayson
Level 1

Same thing with me....I was given no options....just nothing worked.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

The IRS/FIRE sent out a push alert yesterday, stating the system was overloaded on the final day.  You might search for the specifics of the alert; I deleted it as I don't use FIRE.

And you should consider signing up for the IRS Alerts.

( Generic Comment )"
JRC
Level 8

Remove the Spaces in the email. I had to include spaces so Intuit doesn't delete the Email Address.

0 Cheers