Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-filing in Information Return System

Alex C
Level 2

Hi, we are a small firm looking to comply with the new E-filing requirements for information returns. We have always filed information returns on paper (we e-file tax returns in Lacerte). How do we set ourselves up to do this for the 2023 returns? We use the Information Return System software, but I can't find much information on e-filing in the software. Do we still need to register for IRIS and BSO? Any other additional information would be greatly appreciated.

4 Comments 4
shahinea
Level 2

W are using EasyAcct for accounting & payroll service

How do we E-file the W-2s and 1099s for this year

0 Cheers
Rpar
Level 3

The term E-File is a bit misleading. 

information Return System creates a transmittal file for you to submit to the Appropriate entity( State, SSA, IRS). 

If you don't already you need to register with your State( depends in your state(s) you need to file in), SSA (Business Service Online) and the IRS( was FIRE and is now IRIS) to make sure you can even log into their system and submit the file. 

You need to do this ASAP! It takes time. You may want to order the forms as a contingency plan, in case you don't set up accounts prior to Jan.31st. 

0 Cheers
Rpar
Level 3

See my response below, if you haven't figured it out by now. 

0 Cheers
Toshia
Level 1

Information Return system. I create a 941 because I only do payroll, after the fact, for my client.  I still would like to E-file my 941, but Information Return systems does not have the "Create EF" icon, like the professional series, that I use for my other clients.  Has this been added to the information system or will I still need to mail in this 941.  Help would be great, I have asked this question in 2022 and still no answer.

thank you

Toshia

0 Cheers