Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Distribution penaly waived for 2020 distributions?

Theresastylist
Level 2

I have a client asking me if the penalty will be waived for early distributions of 401K withdrawals for 2020 because of the COVID hardship.  I can't find anything that supports this.  All help appreciated!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

4 Comments 4
BobKamman
Level 15
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I'm really hoping that the financial institutions code these distributions with a Code 2 for withdrawals after the CARES act went into place...so we dont have to try and figure out when they took the money out.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

My guess is that they will have a special code for coronavirus-related distribution because it's supposed to require certification from the individual.  The statutory language doesn't just say any distribution but attached various conditions (which are relatively easy to meet given the state of affairs).  There're also special treatments of such distributions for spreading the tax over 3 years (remember when ROTH was first introduced?) and option for repayment (to be treated just like a tax-free 60-day rollover).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

If you want to know where to find it, it's in Sec. 2202(a)(1) of the CARES Act.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar