This article will help you:
- Download and install Lacerte on a standalone computer, or
- Install Lacerte on the first networked computer in your office, and
- Install the program on subsequent networked workstations.
If you need to install prior-year versions see How to download and install prior year Lacerte
To install Lacerte:
Follow these steps to install Lacerte on a standalone computer, or for the first workstation in your networked environment.
- Sign in to My Account.
- Click Download 2020.
- A dialog box will appear asking you to open or save Websetup20.exe. Press Save so you can access it later if needed.
- Click Run to begin the installation.
- Hit Next on the welcome window.
- Select the type of installation you want, Recommended or Custom.
- Recommended: Uses the prior year version of Lacerte to determine which modules and states to install. Installs the program to the same drive location as the prior year. If the prior year program is not installed, the installer will use the default file paths.
- Custom: Gives you the option to select any modules or states that are available. Use this to add new modules or states that you didn't install last year. Also provides the capability to manually designate where to install the program.
- If you chose Recommended, skip to step 9. If you selected the Custom option, select the type of install:
- Local Install - Stores Lacerte data and options on your local computer. The default location for a program installation will be C:\Lacerte\18tax. The program, client database, and options will reside under the same folder location.
- Network Install - The program will be installed in the Selected Installation Folder you choose. Program data, options, and updates will be saved to the Shared File Path. Make sure the shared file path you choose is a shared location so other network stations can easily access primary options and program updates.
- Click Next.
- Select the applicable States and Modules to install from the Select States window and then click Next.
- Lacerte will automatically check the state and modules you are licensed for.
- Select only the modules and states that you expect to use. This will save you time when downloading updates and you can always add later if needed.
- On the Ready to install window, review your selections to make sure they're correct.
- The workstation path should always be a local drive and is typically C:\Lacerte\20tax
- The shared file path, if sharing options and updates with other computers, needs to be on a shared network drive that the other workstations have access to.
- Click Back to change any settings or press Install to begin the installation.
When complete, you should have a 2020 Lacerte Tax icon on your desktop. If prompted to restart the computer, close and save all work and restart the computer. Otherwise, start the program by double-clicking the desktop icon.
If you installed Lacerte as a network, follow the steps below to set up all other workstations.
To install Lacerte on other workstations (networked users):
- Go the workstations computer on which you want to install Lacerte.
- Hold down the Windows key and press R to open the Run Command.
- Type the Shared File Path for your network to start the installation.
- The default path is X:\Lacerte\20Tax\setup20\taxsetup.exe
- Click Next to accept the default local path.
- Choose Install to begin the installation.
- When the installation is complete, click Launch to start Lacerte.
Repeat these steps on any additional workstations that need access to Lacerte.