Before you start:
- This article references default installation paths and uses YY to reference the tax year in 20YY format. C: will always indicate the local drive and X: will always indicate the network drive.
- ProSeries doesn't make automatic backups of your client files. It's important to maintain current backups. See How to copy or backup client files using ProSeries for details.
- Data corruption often causes this error. This article will help you rule out other causes, as well as repair minor data corruption damage.
- Some of the manual solutions below will require enabling Windows to 'show hidden files and folders'.
ProSeries has a new tool that can attempt to repair data corruption in ProSeries 2020. To run the repair:
Step 2: Using the tool in the ProSeries Tool Hub
- Open the ProSeries Tool Hub.
- Select Corruption Repair on the left.
- Click on ProSeries Corruption Repair Utility.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to run the tool.
If the ProSeries Corruption Repair Utility doesn't resolve the issue, or if the error is happening in ProSeries 2019 or prior attempt, the following. After each solution, attempt to open the file again.
If the Tool Hub doesn't fix the error these manual steps can sometimes reverse the damage: