Click here for amending a Resident New Jersey Return - Forms NJ-1040 and NJ-1040X
If you filed your original return and need to make changes or correct mistakes, you must file an amended return NJ-1040X. Do not refile Form NJ-1040.
Follow these steps to generate Form NJ-1040X:
Before you start: If this is a nonresident New Jersey filer, these steps do not apply. See the next section for more information.
- Go to Screen 59, Amended Return (1040X).
- In the field Federal/state return(s) to amend (Ctrl+T) (MANDATORY), select New Jersey (and Federal if applicable).
- Scroll down to the section Explanation of Changes, and enter the reason for this amendment in the field New Jersey explanation of changes (if different) (Ctrl+T). Note: If you're also amending Federal and the explanation for New Jersey does not differ, you do not need to enter an explanation in this field.
- In the left navigation panel, click New Jersey (NJ-1040X).
- Review the original reported amounts displayed here.
Once you've reviewed the originally reported amounts, make any necessary adjustments within the applicable input screens. The program will recognize these entries as amended changes.
Note: The client letter and/or filing instructions will reference the amended return without additional input needed.
Click here for amending a Non-Resident New Jersey Return - Form NJ-1040NR
When amending a New Jersey Form NJ-1040NR for a non resident, the instructions indicate the following:
....file an amended nonresident return by completing a new NJ-1040NR and writing AMENDED across the top........ Do not use Form NJ-1040X to amend a nonresident return.
Follow these steps to amend a Non-resident New Jersey Return:
- Make a copy of your client file in order to retain the original return filing. See: How to make a copy of a client in Lacerte
- Once you've created your copy, make any necessary changes to the return.
- Print your amended version of NJ-1040NR and write AMENDED across the top.
Additional Amendment Instructions: If you are amending an item that requires supporting documents, enclose the applicable document, schedule, or form. If your original return was filed electronically, enclose all supporting documents (W-2, NJK-1, etc.) that you would have enclosed if you had filed the original return on paper - including those that support items that are not being amended.
Follow these steps to generate Filing Instructions for a New Jersey Amended Return:
- Go to Screen 59, Amended return (1040X).
- Verify the New Jersey box is checked under Federal/state return(s) to amend (Ctrl+T) (MANDATORY).
- Go into Screen 5.1, Invoice, Letter, Filing Instr.
- Enter a "1" in the field Filing instructions: 1=yes, 2=no [O] in the Filing Instructions section.
- Scroll down to the New Jersey Filing Instructions section.
- Check the box Tax return (NJ-1040/NJ-1040NR).