Before you start:
- The IRS supports e-filing for certain 1040X returns (starting in 2019). For details on which returns can be e-filed, refer to E-filing individual amended returns, Form 1040X.
- We recommend you make a copy of the client file to preserve the amounts as originally filed and all e-file history.
Follow these steps to generate Form 1040X:
- Select the client you created to open the Detail tab.
- Go to Screen 59, Amended Return (1040X) before making any changes.
- Select the returns to amend from the dropdown in Federal/State return(s) to amend (Ctrl+T) (MANDATORY) and select OK to continue.
- Verify the time and date listed in the information window, then select OK.
- Lacerte will automatically bring over original amounts from the return into the Original Amounts column on this screen. If the amounts don't auto-populate, make sure the F4 status of the return isn't marked as Return Complete.
- Use the primary input screens to make the necessary corrections to the return. For example, if you're amending to report additional wages, go to Screen 10, Wages, Salaries, Tips to correct the wage amount.
- Use the Forms tab to review the 1040X for accuracy.
To e-file the amended return:
- Go to Screen 1, Client Information.
- Make sure the federal return is selected for e-file.
- Go to the Diagnostics tab and clear any e-file critical diagnostics.
- Have your client sign and return Form 8879, IRS e-file Signature Authorization.
- Go to the Clients tab.
- Select the client you want to e-file.
- Go to the E-file tab.
- Select Start e-file Amended Return Wizard.
- You'll receive a warning message about maintaining your e-file history. Read the message carefully, then select No to continue the e-file process.
- If you haven't made a copy of the client file, select Yes to exit the wizard and make a copy now.
- Make sure the federal amended return is listed in the wizard, and press Next to continue.
- Select Send e-file Return Now to transmit the return.
Note: The amounts printed on Form 8879 may look strange. That's because the IRS hasn't issued a new Form 8879 or instructions that address Form 1040X, and Lacerte follows the current IRS instructions for completing tax forms. You should still have your client sign the 8879 and save it for your records.