This article will assist you with:
- Entering prior-year state and local tax information in ProSeries, and
- Understanding the State and Local Tax Information table on the Federal Carryover Worksheet.
Prior-year state tax information should be entered on the Federal Carryover Worksheet in the State and Local Tax Information section.
Follow these steps to open the Federal Carryover Worksheet:
- From the Forms menu, choose Select Form.
- If you're using ProSeries Basic, from the Forms menu, select Find Form.
- In the Open Forms window, type in "CO" in the Find: field.
- This will highlight Carryover Wks.
- Click OK to open the Federal Carryover Worksheet.
- Enter any necessary information in columns (a) through (g).
- Click on the Forms Menu/Select Form (Forms Menu/Find Form in ProSeries Basic).
- With the Forms List Open, type the letters "CO" on your keyboard.
- Carryover Wks will be highlighted in the list of forms.
- Click "OK" to open the Federal Carryover Worksheet.
- Enter any necessary information in columns a-g.
The totals of columns (b), (c), (e), and (g) of this table will flow to the Tax Payments Worksheet. Then, it'll be deducted on Schedule A, line 5, if applicable. The amounts in column (f) will flow to the Form 1099-G Worksheet and then to the State Tax Refund Worksheet to determine how much of the overpayment(s) is taxable.