What are the steps to e file a prior year return in the current tax year?
ProSeries uses the IRS Modernized E-File (MeF) system when filing returns electronically. This system allows returns for three tax years, the current year and the two consecutive prior tax years, to be filed electronically. Most states also follow these rules. Returns older than current tax year and two consecutive prior tax years must be paper filed.
Example: In April 2017, ProSeries can be used to electronically transmit returns for tax year 2016 (the current tax year), 2015, and 2014. All other years must be printed and filed by mail. Typically the available tax years roll forward once the IRS opens the E-file servers each year. Typically this occurs in January each year.
In order to e file the prior year return, these steps must be taken in the prior year ProSeries programs:
Update Licensing Information
- In ProSeries, go to Tools, then License Products.
- Verify Online is selected, then click OK.
- When the screen with your information shows, verify it is correct and click Yes, then OK and Close.
Update the program
- In ProSeries, go to Update.
- Once ProSeries checks for updates, select Install Updates and complete the process (if nothing updates, then continue to the next step).
E file the prior year return
- Open the client file and correct any errors (Typically, you might need to correct the "Date Pin Entered"on the Federal Information Worksheet; enter the transmission date and continue ).
- Complete the e file process as normal.
Note: A current year Fast Path license is needed to e-file a prior year return. For more information, see What is ProSeries Fast Path?