The following dates are for calendar-year filers of forms 1120, 1120S, 1065, 1041, and 990. If you are a fiscal-year filer, see the form instructions for more information.
Tax year 2021 filing due dates
|Date||Tax Return Type|
|January 18, 2022||• 4th Qtr 2021 ES payment due|
|March 15, 2022||• 1120S, 1065 business returns due|
|April 18, 2022||• 1040 tax returns due |
• 1120 tax returns due
• 1st Qtr 2022 ES payment due
|May 26, 2022||• 990 tax returns due|
|June 15, 2022||• 2nd Qtr 2022 ES payment due|
|July 31, 2022||• 5500 tax returns due|
|September 15, 2022||• 1120S, 1065 extended tax returns deadline|
• 3rd Qtr 2022 ES payment due
|September 30, 2022||• 1041 extended tax returns due|
|October 17, 2022||• 1120, 1040 extended tax returns due|
|January 17, 2023||• 4th Qtr 2022 ES payment due|
Disaster relief for Hurricane Ian:
Filers in Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina that have been impacted by Hurricane Ian have until February 15, 2023 to file various individual and business tax returns and make tax payments to the Internal Revenue Service. Click here for more information.
Additional e-file and perfection period information
- Remember to check the e-file status on the return to make sure your return or extension is accepted by the taxing authority. If your return or extension is rejected, follow the guidelines below to make sure it stays timely filed.
- Returns and extensions don't have to be Accepted by the IRS or states on March 15 to be considered timely filed. An electronic postmark is assigned to a return when it's received by the Intuit Electronic Filing Center. This electronic postmark is the date and time the return or extension is considered filed. This electronic postmark is reported as the Return Submitted date and time displayed.
- The ERO should print the status from the program by copying the information and then pasting it into a text editor. File this document with the paper return or extension.
- The ERO is allowed 10 calendar days to resubmit a rejected e-file return.
- The ERO is allowed 5 calendar days to resubmit a rejected e-file extension.
- See Publication 4163 under the Transmission Perfection Period section for more information.
- Electronic filing deadlines and perfection periods for individual returns and extensions (1040, 1040SR, 1040NR)
- Lacerte: Checking the status of e-filed returns
- Lacerte: How do I file extensions in Lacerte?
- Lacerte: Using the E-file Estimated Payment Wizard
- ProSeries: How do I file extensions in ProSeries?
- ProSeries: Setting up a federal return to use Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW)
- ProConnect Tax: How do I e-file extensions?