This article will help you determine whether or not you can e-file current federal tax returns for individuals, corporations, partnerships, and other businesses.
When will e-filing for 2019 and 2018 returns reopen?
E-filing for tax year 2019 and 2018 business returns will resume on January 8, 2021.
E-filing for tax year 2019 and 2018 individual returns will resume on February 12, 2021.
When can I e-file 2020 returns?
|Return type||IRS opens||Intuit opens|
|Business||January 8, 2021||January 19, 2021|
|Individual (1040)||February 12, 2021||Intuit will begin holding returns on January 28, 2021|
- For more details on e-filing 2020 ProSeries returns see: When can I e-file Individual Tax returns in ProSeries?
- For more details on e-filing 2020 Lacerte returns see: When can I e-file Individual Tax returns in Lacerte?
- For more details on e-filing 2020 ProConnect Tax returns see: When can I e-file Individual Tax returns in ProConnect Tax?
Frequently asked questions for 2020 Individual e-filing
- What happens with EITC returns impacted by the PATH Act? Will they be further delayed?
- Starting in the first week of March, the IRS anticipates that tax refunds will begin to reach taxpayers who claim EITC and ACTC (PATH Act returns), file electronically with direct deposit, and do not have issues with their tax returns.
- When will my clients be able to check on the status of their refunds?
- Feb. 22 is the projected date for the IRS.gov Where’s My Refund tool to be updated for those claiming EITC and ACTC, also referred to as PATH Act returns.