The Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) is an annual report and must be filed on or before the April 15 tax deadline, with provisions for an automatic six-month extension.
- The FBAR must be filed electronically, using the E-File Return Wizard in Lacerte.
- For tax years before 2019, this was filed using the Other Filing Types Wizard.
- It isn't automatically e-filed with the federal return.
- Prior year e-filing supports the current and prior two tax years through the relevant tax year product. Returns before two years prior can be completed and submitted at the BSA E-filing System website.
Before you start:
- Mark the applicable Federal Form 114 in Screen 1, Client Information.
- Taxpayer and Spouse Form 114 is available in the Individual module.
To e-file FinCEN Form 114 in the Individual module
You may need to check Federal if the client file contains a Single Member Limited Liability Company (SMLLC) state. You'll see US-Form 114 listed under the Federal Other Filing Type column.
- Click on the E-file menu.
- Select Step 2: Start e-file Return Wizard.
- Verify the Form 114 you wish to file is listed here.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to e-file the return.
To e-file FinCEN Form 114 for a business return
- Click on E-file.
- Click on Start e-file Return Wizard.
- Select US-Form 114 in the Select the returns you want to e-file window
- Click Next to continue.
- Click Send e-file Return Now after the return has passed validation.