Form 1095-A is used to report certain information to the IRS about family members who enroll in a qualified health plan through the Marketplace. Form 1095-A also is furnished to individuals to allow them to claim the premium tax credit, to reconcile the credit on their returns with advance payments of the premium tax credit (advance credit payments), and to file an accurate tax return.
Starting in tax year 2019, if you didn't purchase health insurance through the exchange, you don't need to enter your health coverage for federal returns.
Follow these steps to enter form 1095-A:
- Go to Screen 39, Premium Tax Credit (1095-A, 8962).
- Click on Health Insurance Marketplace Statement (Form 1095-A) from the left navigation panel. (This will take you to Screen 39.2.)
- Complete the Recipient Information (Part I) section:
- Check the box, Spouse is recipient, if applicable.
- Enter the (2) Market-place assigned policy number.
- Note: Enter the last 15 characters of the policy number. The policy number can be digits, alpha letters, and some special characters. (Example: If the policy number is 12345678901234A:123456, enter 8901234A:123456 in Lacerte.)
- Scroll down to Covered Individuals (Part II) section.
- Select the First Name of the individual from the drop down menu.Important! If you select the covered Individuals name from the drop down menu, Lacerte will populate the First Name, Last Name, and SSN entered on Screen 1, Client Information or Screen 2, Dependents. If the Covered Individual is not entered on Screen 1 or Screen 2, you will need to manually enter their information.
- Enter the Start Date.
- Enter the Termination Date (if applicable).
- Scroll down to the Coverage Information (Part III) section.
- Complete the Monthly Premium, Monthly Premium of Second Lowest Cost Silver Plan (SLCSP), and/or Monthly Advance Payment of Premium Tax Credit columns based on the information from Form 1095-A.
- Monthly Premium - This column is the monthly premium amount for the policy in which you enrolled. (Amounts entered in lines 21-32 will flow to Form 8962, lines 12-23, column A. An amount entered in line 33 will flow to Form 8962, line 11, column A.)
- Monthly Premium of Second Lowest Cost Silver Plan (SLCSP) - This column is the monthly premium amount for the second lowest cost silver plan (SLCSP) that the Marketplace has determined applies to members of your family enrolled in the coverage. The premium for the applicable SLCSP is used to compute your monthly advance credit payments and the premium tax credit you claim on your return. If no information is entered in this column, see the Instructions for Form 8962, Part 2, Premium Tax Credit Claim and Reconciliation of Advance Payment of Premium Tax Credit. (Amounts entered in lines 21-32 will flow to Form 8962, lines 12-23, column B. An amount entered in line 33 will flow to Form 8962, line 11, column B.)
- Monthly Advance Payment of Premium Tax Credit - This column is the monthly amount of advance credit payments that were made to your insurance company to pay for all or part of the premiums for your coverage. No information will be entered in this column if no advance credit payments were made. (Amounts entered in lines 21-32 will flow to Form 8962, lines 12-23, column C. An amount entered in line 33 will flow to Form 8962, line 11, column C.)
- Click on Add from the left navigation panel to add an additional Form 1095-A (if the Taxpayer received multiple 1095-As).