Below are answers to questions regarding Btrieve 12 for EasyACCT.
We strongly recommend consulting your local IT professional for assistance with the steps below.
What is Btrieve 12?
Btrieve is the older version of Pervasive, a database engine used by Peachtree and many other programs. EasyACCT uses Btrieve version 6.15. Newer versions aren't backward compatible.
What if I'm still using Pervasive?
If any programs that have used Pervasive as the database engine are still in use, they'll need to be shut down to allow the Btrieve indexing:
- Close the program using Pervasive.
- Hold down Ctrl + Alt + Delete on your keyboard to open the Task Manager.
- Make sure that the process W3DBSMGR.EXE has ended
- If it's on the list of processes, highlight it and click End Task.
You can use MSConfig to make sure that any Pervasive processes aren't loading at startup. If Pervasive loads before Btrieve, it must be closed.
What if I've used Pervasive in the past?
If any Pervasive products have been used in the past, and are no longer in use, then you should use the specific program's uninstall routine to remove it. Check the Windows Registry to ensure all Pervasive keys have been removed.
If Windows Control Panel is used to remove Pervasive, there may be items remaining that can still prevent Btrieve from loading. Therefore, we don't recommend using Windows Control Panel to remove programs.
Before you start:
This requires modification of the Windows Registry. Serious problems may occur if the registry is modified incorrectly. Intuit strongly recommends having an IT professional make these changes if you are not comfortable with editing the registry. It's also strongly recommended to make a backup of the registry before proceeding. See here for further instruction.
Follow these steps to check the Windows Registry:
- In the Windows search box in the taskbar, type Run and press Enter to open the Run command.
- In the Open: field, type regedit and click OK.
- Answer Yes to the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" message.
- From the File menu, select Export and make a registry backup.
- Use the date and save to desktop.
- From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder, open the Software folder.
- Look for a subfolder named Pervasive.
- Right-click and Delete the Pervasive folder.
- Caution: You should only do this if the programs using Pervasive are no longer needed.
If Btrieve 12 errors occur on every company on a server folder:
First, check to see if there is a space in the Directory Name. If there is, delete the space or replace it with an underscore (for example, change Directory Name to Directory_Name).
If this isn't the issue, do the following:
- Right-click on a company and Copy it to the C: drive in a new folder.
- Change the Current Data path in EasyACCT to the folder just created.
- Open the company in the new folder.
- If the Btrieve 12 error doesn't occur, copy the company back to a new folder created on the server.
- Limit the names of subfolders to 8 characters or less, with no spaces or special characters.
- Sometimes long folder names can cause this to happen.
- Make sure that the server itself doesn't have Pervasive running or in the Windows Registry.
- If EBS or other transfers have been made from a computer running Pervasive, this can affect a company.