ProSeries Professional and ProSeries Basic both have multiple password options available to help you protect your clients' data. These options allow you to require passwords for specific actions in the program, such as e-filing a return.
If you're not using Access Rights, you must set up a primary password before setting up an electronic filing password or client level password. If you're using Access Rights, you won't be able to complete a primary password setup, and anyone with administrator access will have access to any password-protected return. Refer to this article for instructions on setting up Access Rights.
Follow these steps to set up a primary password:
- Open ProSeries.
- If you're on a network, make sure you're on the admin computer.
- From the Tools menu, choose Options.
- From the left of the screen, choose Passwords.
- Locate the Primary Password section.
- Type the new password in the Enter new primary password field.
- If this isn't the first time setting up a primary password, enter the old password in the Enter existing primary password field.
- Type the password again in the Re-enter new primary password to confirm field.
- Click OK.
If you need help resetting the primary password, refer to this article for instructions.