The following dates are for calendar-year filers. If you are a fiscal-year filer, see the form instructions for more information.
Additional e-file and perfection period information
- Remember to check the e-file status on the return to make sure your return or extension is accepted by the taxing authority. If your return or extension is rejected, follow the guidelines below to make sure it stays timely filed.
- Returns and extensions don't have to be Accepted by the IRS or states on March 15 to be considered timely filed. An electronic postmark is assigned to a return when it's received by the Intuit Electronic Filing Center. This electronic postmark is the date and time the return or extension is considered filed. This electronic postmark is reported as the Return Submitted date and time displayed.
- The ERO should print the status from the program by copying the information and then pasting it into a text editor. File this document with the paper return or extension.
- The ERO is allowed 10 calendar days to resubmit a rejected e-file return.
- The ERO is allowed 5 calendar days to resubmit a rejected e-file extension.
- See Publication 4163 under the Transmission Perfection Period section for more information.