Before you start:
- Calculate all client files in your original program.
- Remove any locks.
- Remove any passwords
- Individual (1040)
- Partnership (1065)
- Corporation (1120)
- S-Corporation (1120S)
- Create a new folder on your C: drive named ConversionData before you begin the backup process (e.g., C:ConversionData).
- Open Lacerte.
- Note: Please repeat the steps below for each tax type you wish to submit for conversion.
- Click the Client menu, Tax Type, and select the tax type you wish to back up.
- On the Client Tab, press and hold [Ctrl], then click each client you want to back up - OR - press F3, select All Clients and then click OK.
- On the Client menu, click Backup.
- In the Backup Clients dialog box, enter the Destination: C:ConversionData.
- Click OK to begin the backup process.
Open C:ConversionData to view the files that have been backed up. A valid Lacerte backup looks like a Lacerte database directory and contains the following for each tax type:
- 8 Database files with name starting with DATA and ending in .DBF.
- 8 Database files with names starting with DATA and ending in .MDX.
- For example, for Individual, you will see DATA1I18.DBF through DATA8I18.DBF and a corresponding MDX for each. For Corporate it will be DATA1C18 through DATA8C18. It is OK to back up all clients into the same folder, as the file names differentiate by tax type.
- Several folders, including DETAIL.
- Within the DETAIL folder, one file for each client backed up, with an extension of .?D8, where the ? represents the tax type.
A valid backup must contain the entire file and folder structure, the conversion process will not work if we receive only detail files.
The main purpose of this conversion is to get your data ready for the following tax year. Therefore, viewing a Form 1040 will not display the same results that had been filed. The conversion is very limited and includes only the basic information in the following PDF document.