Before you start:
- Calculate all client files in your original program.
- Remove any locks.
- Remove any passwords
- Individual (1040)
- Create a new folder on your C: drive named ConversionData before you begin the backup process (e.g., C:ConversionData).
- Open your CrossLink 2019 program.
- From the WIP (Work in Progress) screen, choose Utility -> System Utilities.
- Click the Reset Encryption Key button and click on Run Utility.
- Change Encryption Key to "000". (Without the key, we cannot access the backup data. Using a predefined key ensures we can decrypt it.)
- From WIP, under Other Items, click the Backup Returns button.
- On the Backup Returns screen, click Select All to highlight all returns, or select individual returns by checking the boxes next to them.
- Click the Backup button. You will be prompted when you have successfully backed up your returns. Click the Close button.
- Browse to C:xlink19 using My Computer or Windows Explorer.
- Locate the file that begins with ar19 or bk19. Sorting the files by name or date can help you locate it, the file name will include the date of the most recent backup.
- Right-click on the file and choose Copy.
- Browse to C:ConversionData.
- Right-click in an empty space and choose Paste.
Open C:ConversionData to view the files that have been backed up. A valid CrossLink backup contains a file that begins with ar19 or bk19.
What items will be converted?
The main purpose of this conversion is to get your data ready for the following tax year. Therefore, viewing a Form 1040 will not display the same results that had been filed. The conversion is very limited and includes only the basic information in the following PDF document.