This issue can occur if one of the duplicate clients doesn't have an SSN/EIN (Tax ID) entered in the Client Information tab of Document Management System (DMS).
Before you start:
- Clients created within DMS may not synchronize with tax information sent by the tax software and could result in duplicate clients when printing from the tax software to DMS. The best advice is to always send client information to DMS from the tax software first. This will create a database record in DMS where future printing and scanning will save into.
Follow these steps to verify the DMS client has an SSN/EIN:
- Select the client.
- Go to the Client Information tab.
The SSN/EIN will appear in the Tax ID field. If the DMS client doesn't have an SSN/EIN, the tax program won't be able to recognize that the client already exists, and a new client will be created.
Solution 1 - Follow these steps if the client has not been duplicated:
Make sure the client has not been duplicated yet. If it has been duplicated, skip to Solution 2.
- Select the client in DMS.
- Click Client Information tab and select Edit Information, or right-click the client and choose Client Properties.
- Enter the SSN/EIN in the Tax ID field.
- Print the return for this client to DMS.
The file will go into this client and a new client won't be created.
Solution 2 - Follow these steps if the client has already been duplicated:
- Select the duplicate client you want to keep.
- This will most likely be the one with the most info or documents in it.
- Drag/drop or copy/paste all the files from the one you want to discard, to the one you want to keep.
- Delete the duplicate you don't want.
- Make sure the remaining client has the Tax ID, as seen in Solution 1.
Solution 3 - Follow these steps to send your database files to technical support:
If there are too many clients to do the previous solutions, you'll want to send your database files to technical support.
- Inside DMS, note the path listed at the bottom under Current Database Path.
- Close the program on all workstations and open the folder noted.
- Select each file ending in .DAT and .BLB.
- With all those files highlighted, right-click any one of them and click Send To and choose Compressed (zipped) Folder.
- This will create a new singular file that you will send to tech support.
- Right-click and Rename the new file to your customer number.
- Call ProSeries or Lacerte tech-systems support for the best method to send that file.