Follow these steps to submit Forms 940 and 941 electronically:
- In the Print Reports screen, select Form 940/941 to print.
- After reviewing the information on-screen for accuracy, select Create EF.
If any errors are displayed, follow these steps to fix them before proceeding:
- Print the list of errors. Select Close.
- Fix each error from the list.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 from above.
- Enter your EFIN, PIN (both assigned by the IRS) and Contact Information, Agency EIN and address. All fields must be completed for Mechanized e-file (MeF).
- If you don't have an EFIN or PIN, select the link for more information on obtaining one and follow those instructions.
- Complete forms 8633 and 8655 with the IRS before submitting an e-file 940 or 941.
- The 8655 must be filed for each company, otherwise the return will be rejected by the IRS.
- Select Submit to send the file to the taxing authority.
- Next, you'll see a confirmation page where you can optionally print the confirmation for your records.
- To select the E-file Status, select System > View E-File History.
- Select Audit Trail for more detailed information.
- Choose Reprint E-filing to see a form view of what was submitted to the taxing authority.
Amended returns (941-X) can't be electronically filed at this time.