The IRS allows for a printed name instead of a signature on the forms. To Insert or Remove the Preparer's Name from the Signature Line, follow the steps below.
- Select on Settings.
- Select on Options.
- Select the Tax Return tab.
- Scroll down to the Federal Tax Options section.
- Locate the Preparer's name on Form [XXXX ] option. (XXXX= Form # i.e.: 1040, 1120S, 1065, 1120, 990, 706, 709.)
- Select Yes or No from the drop down menu.
- Selecting Yes will print the Preparer's name from the signature line.
- Selecting No will remove the Preparer's name from the signature line.
- Select OK to save the changes
The preparer's name will still appear on the Print/Type preparer's name line of the main form.
- If Non-Paid Preparer is selected, the preparer's name field will display non-paid preparer.
- If Self-Prepared is selected, the preparer's name field will display self-prepared.
- Prior to 2011, the only option to remove the preparer's name from the Preparer's Signature line will remove the preparer's name from printing on the return completely. This affects the fields: Print/Type preparer's name, Preparer's Signature, and PTIN. For tax year's 2011 and after, Lacerte has a new option that allows the preparer's name and PTIN to print on the return and leave the Preparer's Signature line blank.
- IRS website: Internal Revenue Bulletin: 2004-33 Alternative Methods of Signing for Income Tax Return Preparers