A Third Party Designee is an individual—that isn't the taxpayer or spouse—that's authorized to speak with the IRS about the return on which they're designated. Refer to the applicable IRS form instructions for more information.
The IRS form instructions state the following about Third Party Designees:
If you want to allow a friend, a family member, or any other person you choose to discuss your 2022 tax return with the IRS, check the “Yes” box in the “Third Party Designee” section of your return. Also enter the designee's name, phone number, and any five digits the designee chooses as his or her personal identification number (PIN).
How do I enter a Third Party Designee?
Within ProSeries, on the Federal Information Worksheet - Part V, the Third Party Designee section only needs to be completed when the designee isn't the paid preparer.
Follow these steps to indicate that the Third Party Designee is the paid preparer:
- Go to the Federal Information Worksheet.
- Click the QuickZoom button next to Part V - Preparer/Designee.
- Locate the Third Party Designee section.
- Check the box labeled Paid preparer is third party designee (if checked, do not complete designee information).
- The paid preparer's information will automatically populate for the designee's name, phone number and PIN.