Before you start:
- Lacerte can automatically generate and attach many required PDFs.
- There's no option to preview or print PDF files that you manually attach to the return.
- PDF files are limited in size. The entire file, including PDF attachments, submitted via e-file is limited to 32 MB. A single attachment is limited to 1.5MB.
Follow these steps to attach a PDF:
- Go to Screen 4, Electronic Filing.
- Click on the PDF Attachment button.
- Click on the Attach PDF button.
- Select Browse Files.
- Choose the PDF you need to attach.
- Click on Open.
- Press on OK.
- Select the form/type to link the attachment to from the Link to form (defaults to main form) drop-down menu.
- If the attachment is only for the state return, set the Send PDF attachment with federal return radio button to "No".
- If your state allows PDF attachments, a separate section will be displayed for state information at the bottom of this screen. Check the Send PDF attachment with [state] return box, if applicable.
- Complete any state information that applies. These fields will vary by state.
Why do I still have diagnostics about attaching a PDF?
Diagnostics for specific attachments, like the QBI Rental Real Estate Safe Harbor Statement, will only clear when you link the PDF to the appropriate form. To search the list, click inside the field and begin typing.
Some forms, particularly on state returns, don't offer a way to indicate in the e-file exactly what your PDF relates to. In these cases, Lacerte will continue to generate a diagnostic reminding you to attach the PDF, since the program can't verify the purpose of your attached file. These diagnostics won't prevent you from e-filing the return.
- You can click the View PDF button to verify that the correct document is attached.
Automatically attach PDFs when required
The PDF Auto-Attach feature will attach forms generated by the program that are required to be part of the electronic return as a PDF. This feature works with our diagnostics to generate that form as a PDF and include it with the electronic return when you e-file.
The option to auto-generate and attach PDFs can be turned off. This may be necessary in some situations where the auto-generate and attach option is interfering with manual PDF attachment options.
To turn off automatic attachments:
- From the Settings menu, choose Options.
- Select the Setup tab.
- Set Auto Generate and Attach PDFs to EFiles to No.