Alice1
Level 2

I am not a regular tax preparer. I work in a nonprofit, but prepare a few returns for friends. I agreed to prepare a 2019 return for someone I know who could not afford to pay a return preparation fee. She only has social security income, but for some reason, she had voluntary withholding on her social security, so I filed the return just to get the withholding amount back. The client said she wanted direct deposit so I entered her account number on the return. She is not well-organized and unbeknownst to her, her bank had closed her account for excessive overdrafts. The return was accepted on May 7, 47 days ago, and she never received a refund. I tried "Where's My Refund" on the IRS website, but it just said that the return was still being processed. I don't believe this, since it has been more than 6 weeks. The client contacted her bank, but they said they couldn't help her. If her direct deposit was rejected, I would think that they would have issued her a paper check by now. I called the refund hotline and the regular IRS number, but they just had automated information. What's next? Should I try to Practitioner Hotline? I know there's a form 3911 - Taxpayer Refund Statement. Is that my next step?

0 Cheers