joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Can I file 1099-NEC without TIN for that contractor? 

One advice I give to serious business clients is that they should ALWAYS have the vendor's W-9 on file before making the first payments. 

When a client (usually sheepishly) told me a vendor refused to provide the info, here's the remedy:

1.  Send a W-9, along with a draft 1099 that has the vendor's last known info with "Refused to provide" clearly written on the draft.  On the cover letter, state "Please return the signed W9 with the info.  If we don't get  it by **/**/20**, the enclosed draft 1099 will be finalized and mailed to the IRS.  A copy will be furnished to you by law.

2.  Either expect a signed W-9, or brace for a nasty phone call.  Sometimes both.

3.  If the W-9 is NOT received, consider filing the 1099 (which has to be paper-filed and no more Quick Form business.) 

My experience with my clients over the years was that they would invariably get the signed W-9, sometimes with a nasty phone call.

For non-serious business clients, we just drink bourbon and say/sing cheers to the health of IRS.  

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.