TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@MGC94 wrote:

How do you get a CAF number?

Does anyone on here buy any type of insurance? 

Any good contact numbers I should have for IRS? or State?

Any courses you recommended? / re-fresher courses? Where do you personally read up on the new laws for tax year 2022? 

If you Form 2848 or 8821 and wrote "none" in the CAF number, they will issue you one.

If you ONLY prepare tax returns, Hiscox has good priced "Errors and Omissions" insurance.  If you do representation (you mentioned a CAF), other companies may be better (and as was mentioned above, if going through a professional tax organization may often is a good idea).

It can be rather expensive, but Cyber insurance (and similar coverage) should be considered.  At the very least, you should consult an IT person that specializes in security (I know a good one if you are interested).

Generally the best and only number you need is the Practitioner Priority Service number, which you said you already have.

It is best if you take an annual "update" class, generally in December or January.  I prefer live webinars over reading something or live in-person sessions.  Checkpoint Learning has some good classes, but I'm sure there are many other good classes as well.  I think I may be trying NATP this year.  And of course it is great to take other annual continuing education as well, in addition to the annual "update" classes.

After taking the annual "update" class, you may consider looking at the "What's New" section of some of the IRS Publications.  Hypothetically, looking at those sections would tell you all of the new things going on for the year.  In my opinion taking a class AND looking at the "What's New" sections will help imprint the new things on your mind.