joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

NO research, totally off-the-cuff bantering after my daily regimen (Bourbon).  But... OMG I'm wearing a tank top.  Where's the cuff???

You're an evil corporation.  You hired me and provided me with EAP benefits.  Tax free, generally.  But if I were to leave, I'd have to pay you back me the benefits that you paid when you were smitten with me.

Code 108 (d):

(d)Meaning of terms; special rules relating to certain provisions

(1)Indebtedness of taxpayer 

For purposes of this section, the term “indebtedness of the taxpayer” means any indebtedness—
(A) for which the taxpayer is liable, or
(B) subject to which the taxpayer holds property.

When I'm about to leave, you can bet I'd borrow @IRonMaN's ACME magnifying glass to read the contract to find out when I would become liable. 

If the contract said something like "you leave, you die, but if I let you live, the moment you think about leaving, you shall owe me the benefits that I have paid for you.".  Then, clearly I am liable.

But if the contract said along the line of: "If you leave (under xyz conditions), this evil corporation reserves the right to ask for a refund for the benefits", I would argue there was no liability to be forgiven.  During the exit negotiation, I would make sure the agreement was for the corporation to kindly NOT exercise the said right.

I would advise my client NOT to assume.  Get the facts.  Read the contract or plan document.  

(e.g., "you must repay the tuition payment if you quit within a year").  Language like this would arguably create the liability. 

If no liability was created, I would also make sure 1099-C would NOT be issued.

Splitting hairs?  Sometimes, it's my job to split hairs.  Just my 1.8 cents.  (Used to be 2 cents, before the Nasdaq fiasco earlier this week.)   Again, NO research.  On the QT, and very very off the cuff.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.