Level 15
You are correct re the spouse ID number on the 1040NR. Other tax software allows Nonresident Alien in the SSN/ITIN field on the 1040. Therefore I hypothesized that a state would accept it, too.
I agree it may be better to apply for the ITIN using "other". Good luck with it.

0 Cheers