jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Well said Bob. 

Mid March change to tax laws retroactive was a bit inconvenient, but that only affected a small percentage of the returns already filed, and after waiting for the air to clear, the IRS announced that I didn't have to do anything - they would take care of it. (That is still to be determined, but is not a "during tax season problem".

In general my tax returns take no longer to prepare this year than any other.

All the Whining about tax withdrawal dates, has no affect on me, as in all my years of practice (which date to before this option was even available) I have never had a client ask me anything about this, let alone ask me to set them up for it. I do the return, File it, and hand them any payment vouchers and pass the responsibility to the client.

I admit to being older and grouchier, and I got tired of babysitting clients who needed their hand held just to turn around. (I am not talking about my elderly clients who genuinely need assistance, which helping them is one of the most rewarding things I do.) Those needed babysitting I have weeded out long ago.

I am probably fortunate to be at a point in my career to be still doing this because I enjoy it, not because I have to and am chasing every last $. (But I remember those times not to fondly.)

I just say to everyone...Take time after this is over to reflect a bit. What can you do to make next year better? Work towards exiting those 20% of your clients who are 80% of the problems. Lots of times I have found those clients to be less than their % of my fees and much larger % of potential liability.

Work with those you enjoy, and price the others out of your firm. LOL

Anyway - Most of us will get through ok, Summer is coming, and hopefully we got enough work done now to spend some time on a Lake, Beach or in the Forest, on the golf course, or what ever recharges you so you can get ready to do it all over again.

Best wishes to all.