JCTaxAdv
Level 3

I have brought in an additional, secondary tax program to run in parallel with ProSeries for my tax practice this year, so that I can be poised to make a switch next year if I deem it necessary. Really, I think it is the IRS more so than ProSeries that is in a bit of turmoil right now – or at least they are in a pickle. In many ways, I could do without another extended filing season like last year, and clearly that is the last thing the IRS wants again. But it is not just regulatory processes and the efficient administration of tax procedures; this also involves broader political pressures and the larger needs of the society as a whole. It is largely the silence from the IRS that has me concerned right now. I think the IRS wants/wanted no part in delaying the filing deadline(s). The Service certainly was not going to extend the deadline for returns having a March 15 filing due date. Maybe the IRS has partially been biding its time. Now that March 15th has passed, I predict an uptick in more and better communication from the IRS, and think it now becomes more likely for the Service to acquiesce on extending the April 15th deadline (unless the IRS higher-ups are really intent on digging their heels in).