sdtax
Level 1
Taxpayers are MFJ with 2 children, ages 11 & 8.  Father is sole wage-earner, only one with W2, is covered by a health insurance plan through his employer.  Family members are not listed on the 1095-B.  Wife & 2 kids have ITINs.  They are citizens of Mexico.  They have been residents of US for 4.5 years.  I'm not sure if Father is US Citizen, green card, or if that matters.  If so, I can ask.  In past years, H&R Block has taken exemption "C" for the wife and kids, but their explanation doesn't make sense, from what I've looked up.   I'm not sure if they are here legally or illegally, for purposes of applying the exemption rules.  Kids were not born here (not DACA or Dreamers?).  Does having ITINs make them legal?   Not sure which questions to ask them, without being insensitive.  Not confident in Block's assessment, also not confident I understand the exemptions or have enough info to confidently put the "C" (or other) exemption on their tax return.  Does anyone know what else I need to ask them, or has a stab at how they would be treated with regard to the exemption?  Thank you!
0 Cheers