rbynaker
Level 13

@PATAX wrote:

it is not our fault that we have to file corrected returns for this unemployment matter... So why should we have to do the work for no fee?... I think most responsible people, IE clients, will understand this. And for those who do not understand this then they are free to go somewhere else. I.E. 🌳 just my opinion...

And mine.  I'm putting a reminder on my calendar to add a paragraph to my engagement letter next year that clarifies what happens when Congress retroactively changes tax laws.  1) It's not my fault so expect to pay me full price for it and 2) Don't expect me to do anything until after the regular filing deadline.

It's probably also worth noting that when laws are passed in December or January that returns containing those items may need to be delayed due to software programming issues.  <sigh>  When I started this business my engagement letter fit on one page.  I'm squeezed into two pages this year but next year it looks like it will be at least three (or have a font size so small that nobody can read it--wait, nobody reads it anyway!)

Retroactive legislation used to be a "once in a blue moon" sorta thing, now it's become the norm.

Rick