BobKamman
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- 

I know it seems like years since the federal government first acknowledged the problem, but it was less than two months ago.  IRS was at half speed for two weeks, then shut down for a month, and now again at half speed while trying to catch up on the backlog.  For much of the work they rely on temps, who will be working in June when normally they would be furloughed.  While much of the work force was sent away, so was much of the work, with the July 15 due dates.  So I figure they are a couple months behind, and catching up.  

They will work amended returns before they do a lot of other things, because the interest on refunds is accruing.  In the best of times it would sometimes take six months to process a 1040-X, but even with that delay on a few, most cases were closed in two months or less.  I would expect three months now, and use the online tool for tracking the progress.

For the original poster:  Attach a copy of the kid's birth certificate.  I think IRS has a way of checking birth dates already, because I recall cases where a 17-year-old was denied even when the birth date claimed he was 7, but make it as easy as possible for them.   

0 Cheers