davetodd11
Level 5
I have a new taxpayer who is a U.S. Military member and claims Florida as his state of residence.  His previous tax preparer file his and his wife's federal returns as MFJ and then a MFS return for his wife only.  Based on him owning a home in Virginia since June 23, 2020, and having Virginia source income (Lyft driver), I believe that he actually should have filed a part-year resident Virginia return for 2020, and then regular resident returns for 2021-2023 (and owes VA taxes, which were not taken out of his W-2).  I'm trying to find out from the previous preparer how he justified not filing those Virginia returns for the TP, but I don't think there is a valid reason for not doing so.

If the Florida residency somehow holds up (I don't see how), how would I go about generating a Virginia MFS return for the spouse, when the federal return was MFJ and the Virginia return is pulling in the entire federal AGI?  The Virginia Info Worksheet is only allowing me to chose one residency status for the couple, so I can't chose Nor-resident for TP and MFS resident for spouse.

I don't believe I would be able to generate a separate client file for the spouse from which to generate just her Virginia return, as ProSeries would give me the error indicating that there is a duplicated SSN (from the MFJ federal return).  Is there a workaround for this one?
0 Cheers